Thailand Visa Regulations
We strongly advise you to strictly follow the Thailand Visa regulations.This saves you a lot of trouble during your stay and also in case that you want to apply for another Visa for another stay in Thailand. For instance “overstay” (if you exceede the duration of your allowed stay) is not a peccadillo but a serious crime. Not only that you have to pay a fine of 500,-THB per day of overstay, but you also get a remark in the computer system which in case you apply for a new Visa may have the consequence that your request for a Visa will be rejected.
Visa on arrival:
For a stay up to 30 days, one needs a visa upon arrival. Europeans get a stamp at the airport into their passport for free.
Royal Thai Immigration Bureau has confirmed that holders of passports of UK, USA, Japan, Germany, France, Canada and Italy are since November 1 2013 given 30 days at land borders instead of previously only 15 days at the passport control also for free.
For a longer stay one needs a tourist visa, which is valid for 60 days. Travelers who intend to visit neighboring countries during their stay in Thailand, need to make sure to get a multiple-entry visa from the embassy, better even from the consulate. Upon leaving the country the tourist visa is invalid, even if the stamp date says otherwise. People who leave into a neighboring country before the 60 days are over, will get another 15 accordingly 30 days extension upon re-entry. You only get the 30 days, if you enter through an airport.
Tourist Visa: (siutable for those of you who plan a longer stay)
If you would like a tourist visa multiple entry you can only obtain in your home country and regulations are very strict.
Required documents for the visa application:
- application form (filled in block letters)
- 2 passport photographs (woman no spaghetti strap!)
- 1 copy of passport (photo page)
- a payed flight ticket back home (reservation)
- money proof from home country and or 20,000 THB in cash, for families 40.000,- THB
On a Tourist Visa you receive 60 days which you can extent for another 30 days at any Immigration office in Thailand. If you plan to stay longer than those all together 90 days, and have a tourist visa multiple entry you must leave the kingdom (border bounce) to receive another 2 month which you can extent again and so on. (You pay the extension fee (1.900,- THB) for the 30 days at immigration office). You can do this 3 times, then you have to travel back to your home country.
For the border bounce you have to have the following documents:
- a valid flight ticket back home (reservation)
- money proof from home country and or 10,000,- THB in cash
From our own experience we suggest to use the Visa service of HDVISA THAILAND in Nathon. You start early in the morning and you are back late afternoon. The trip is very well organized.
Thailand Visa Regulations – NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (O) FOR RETIREMENT
Single or multiple entries available
Purpose: To retire in Thailand Qualifications:
- Applicant must be at least 50 years old
- Completed visa application form
- Original passport with at least 6-month validity and two blank visa pages
- A copy of passport (ID page)
- A passport size photo (white/ blue background and taken within the past six months)
- Bank statement with a minimum deposit of 380,000 Thai baht or Income Certificate with a minimum monthly
- Rental agreement in Thailand. If staying with a friend/relative, please submit his/her invitation letter and a copy of his/her identity card/passport.
- A copy of marriage or birth certificate (if also applying for dependant)
Thailand Visa Regulations – NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (OA) FOR RETIREMENT
- single or multiple entries available
- Only if you are over 50 Years and have a Thai Bank book with over 800.000,00 THB
or a yearly pension over that amount
- This Visa is good for one Year and you to not have to exit but you must report every three month to your nearest Immigration Office
More Information about Thailand Visa Regulations on the following websites:
HDVisa Thailand – in Nathon on Koh Samui
Visa on arrival – Thailand Immigration
Tourist Visa – Thailand Legal Services